Monday, January 9, 2023

Creative Authenticity

16 Principles to Clarify and Deepen Your Artistic Vision

By Ian Roberts

I have read this book before, very quickly, the day before I submitted my MFA applications. It was so helpful in clarifying how I saw my art and felt about the process of making art. At the time I was very confused, having taken in all sorts of opinions and advice from others who've applied to MFA programs. This little book made me feel better about where I was at the time, and realize that this process of applying to these programs, even if I didn't get accepted, was still valuable to my understanding of myself and where I wanted to go. Roberts has a way to calm you down while immersing yourself in deep thoughts.

Reading it again, less stressfully, with taking time to look at the works of some of the painters mentioned, was really nice. There are a couple of quotes he cites that I really liked, and would like to save them here:

Whistler's definition of Talent: "The ability to do hard work in a consistently constructive direction over a long period of time."

"To see is to forget the name of the thing one sees," Paul Valéry, French poet

 Link to book


 

 

No comments: