Wednesday, March 6, 2019

How Hard Can It Be?

By Allison Pearson

Quite a scary tale (especially to those of us approaching middle age) of a woman who lies about her age in order to find a job, after taking a long break to take care of her mother. While she was still freelancing on the side, and acquiring many important skills as a mother of teens and care-taker of elders, she soon finds that these assets are not as important when she's a woman of a certain age. Despite the horror of perrimenopause, she manages to do well, in addition to attracting a past almost-lover, who turns out to be a Prince Charming to boost.
Though I found the book entertaining and enjoyable to read (apart from the scary, disconcerting age-related bits), I thought the guy was just a bit too perfect. But I guess it's okay for a fairy tale. [352pp.]

P.S. Apparently, this is a sequel to I Don't Know How She Does It, but it reads well as a standalone. I didn't feel like I was missing anything by not reading the first one.


Link to book

No comments: