Friday, July 8, 2011

The White Bone

By Barbara Gowdy

What a marvelous book! It's been a long time since I felt this way about a book. Something I did not expect when I glanced at the picture of the author on the book sleeve's back flip. (She looks too young and groomed - how could she possibly write a good book??)
Such an amazing dive into the life of elephants and Africa. Unfortunately I ended up reading one of the saddest parts while at the Greyhound terminal in El Paso. I couldn't help shedding some tears.
The book is so touching, learned (during the time I was reading it, I came across an article about the cognitive abilities of non-primate animals, and a lot of the things they said about elephants I recognized in the book), and well-written. I can't recommend it enough. One of my very favorites for sure. [336 pp.]

Book link

No comments: