Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Brooklyn Follies

By Paul Auster

(I actually finished it on Saturday).
Ahh... This book reminded me why I liked Paul Auster so much. I find that I still do.
Good stories and great writing. What more could you ask for?
This one was told by a retired life insurance agent who goes to live in Brooklyn and finds his nephew whom he hasn't seen in a while. The nephew, in turn, hasn't seen his sister in a long time, and all of a sudden his niece shows up. But there's more to the story than just the lives of members this particular family. There's an Harry and his adventures in white collar crime, and Marina who's married to a SOB husband, and the perfect beautiful mom and her mother, and a New England widower and his daughter. Yes, a lot is going on, but everything is laid out beautifully and so it's very easy to follow.

No comments: